Carers and children

carer and childThe NSW Government has begun transferring out-of-home care (OOHC) service provision from the government to the non-government sector. Our aim is that all children in statutory care will be supported by a non-government agency.

The safety and wellbeing of children and young people in OOHC is a shared responsibility within our community. Government, agencies and carers all play important roles in ensuring children receive the care and support they need.

A number of significant inquiries into the NSW OOHC system have taken places, and recommendations have been made on how to improve the system to deliver better outcomes for children in care. These have included the Usher and the Wood Special Commission of Inquiry into Child Protection Services in NSW inquiries.

The findings and recommendations of these inquiries have demonstrated the need for the OOHC system to change to better meet the needs of children, young people and their families. These recommendations have been supported by the NSW government and endorsed for implementation.

Core to the government’s endorsed implementation approach is the transition of statutory OOHC to the non-government sector. 

The transition recognises NGOs are well placed to provide the support services children, young people and carers need. Simultaneously, it gives Community Services caseworkers more time to help the most vulnerable families and prevent their children coming into care.

To date, hundreds of children and young people and their carers across NSW have moved to a non-government agency.

Benefits of transferring
Non-government agencies can provide children and carers regular access to caseworkers to support children, and ongoing support and training for carers.

Transfer steps
Moving to a new agency means transferring case management from Community Services to a non-government agency. You and the child or young person transfer together. The process usually takes about four weeks.

Finding an agency
The agency you move to will depend on where you live, what organisations are operating in your area and what placements are available. You can find out more about  agencies available locally at or by calling your Community Services Centre (CSC).

Talking to children about the transition
Carers of older children may wish to discuss moving to a new agency, involve them in the decision making and reassure all children that transferring to a new agency won’t disrupt their lives.

Your questions
This section includes answer to such questions as: Why do I have to move agencies? Who does the transition affect? When will I need to move?

Includes the brochure Moving to a new agency in English, Arabic, Vietnamese, Turkish plus an Aboriginal-specific version.

Read more about transition in your region



To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)