Are you a Community Services foster carer?

man and child

Moving to a non-government agency

Community Services carers (and the children they care for) will move to a non-government agency over the next few years. 

Only carers of children and young people in statutory care will transfer to a non government agency.  Statutory care means the Children’s Court has made an order allocating some or all aspects of parental responsibility to the Minister for Family and Community Services.

Carers of children and young people under a supported care arrangement will not transfer.   Supported care means the Minister does not have any aspects of parental responsibility for a child or young person. Supported care includes when a relative has parental responsibility or when there is no order reallocating parental responsibility.

If you’re unsure who has parental responsibility for the child in your care, and whether you will transfer to a non-government agency, talk to your caseworker. If you don’t have a caseworker call your local Community Services Centre (‘DoCS’ office), or Carer Transfer Assistance line in your area:

  • Metro Central: 8303 6376
  • Metro South West: 8713 7982
  • Metro West: 9354 1607
  • Hunter & Central Coast: 4985 1558
  • Southern NSW: 4222 8467
  • Northern NSW: 6686 1990
  • Western NSW: 6937 9456

For more information about moving to a non-government agency, see the Moving to a new agency guide.

The guide answers carers’ questions about the out-of-home care transition to non-government service providers. It includes information on why the transfer is occurring, who’s eligible to transfer, the transfer process, transfer of Aboriginal children, what to expect from your new agency and legal information. It also includes a list of non-government agencies by region that may be available to accept transfers of children and their carers. You can click on all website links in the guide to go to that organisation.

Changes to supported care allowance

The Supported Care allowance is undergoing some changes. 

See the letter to carers that outlines what these changes will be and who will be affected.

You can also call the Supported Carers Information Line on 1800 994 686 to find out how the changes might apply to you.

Foster care resources

The foster care resource page has links to the quarterly newsletter Fostering our Future, the Foster Carer resource guide and other practical information related resources for carers.

Fostering depends on teamwork. Our caseworkers are there to help you with the challenges of fostering a child, and to work with your foster child, their birth family, specialists and other important people in the child’s life to find positive solutions to any problems you might be experiencing.

Your Community Services caseworker should always be a your first port of call for any queries you might have.

You can also find out more about your rights and responsibilities, what support is available and the changes to the legislation governing foster care which affect you.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)