- Print this page
- Decrease the text size
- Increase the text size
Want to adopt?
People consider adoption for all kinds of reasons. If you are thinking about adopting a child, we can help. You might be considering:
- Local adoption - adopting a child from NSW whose parents are making an adoption decision for their child
- Out-of-home care adoption - adopting a child in NSW from out-of-home care (including foster care)
- Intercountry adoption - adopting a child from overseas
- Special needs adoption - adopting a child with a disability or special needs
- Intrafamily adoption - adopting a step-child or a child within your family.
Local and intercountry adoption
Find out more about the costs, criteria for prospective adoptive parents and the process for local or intercountry adoption in Thinking about Adoption or contact FACS’ Adoption Services for more information.
FACS’ adoption workers can assist foster carers, children and birth parents where adoption is being considered for a child in out-of-home care.
Information is available for:
- foster carers wishing to adopt the child in their care
- parents of a child in foster care (PDF)
- foster carers with shared parental responsibility of a child in foster care (PDF)
- children and young people 12 or more years old (PDF)
- Adoption and Aboriginal children
- Adoption and Torres Strait Islander children
- Guide to drafting a Registered Adoption Plan
- Guide to drafting an Adoption Plan
Where the child has lived with their carers for less than two years, see general information for parents (PDF).
We also provide information on the means-tested adoption allowance for adoption orders made on or after 1 July 2017 (print version here), the annual adoption payment and transition support for carers who adopt, the requirement since October 2013 for authorised carers applying to adopt to participate in OOHC adoption seminars, registration of adoption plans (PDF) and reviewable decisions (PDF) following an application to adopt.
For more information
Contact Adoption Services:
Phone: 02 9716 3003