NSW Birth Certificates for children whose adoptions were finalised overseas

As at 29 October 2013, children whose legal adoptions were finalised overseas with FACS’ assistance, are now entitled to obtain NSW Birth Certificates.

Adult adoptees (18 years and over) and the legal guardians of adoptees are able to apply for a  NSW Birth Certificate for a child when his/her adoption was finalised in a country covered by the Hague Adoption Convention, or a prescribed overseas jurisdiction, and FACS authorised the adoption.

In order for a NSW Birth Certificate to be issued, the Intercountry Adoption must first be registered by NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. To enable that registration to occur, FACS must receive an application from you requesting FACS to notify NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages of the Adoption.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)