Alternatives to adoption

If you feel you can't cope with a new baby or your child, adoption is not your only option.

FACS and our community partners can provide you with support to keep your family together safely. For more details on any of the options listed below, visit your local Community Services Centre or contact FACS Adoption Services on 02 9716 3003 or email

Help to continue raising your child yourself

Financial assistance, accommodation, parenting support, and day care services are available to help parents care for and raise their child. For more information on financial support for parents or guardians, visit Centrelink.

Help for parents of children with disability

If your child has a disability, disability support services and respite care may also be available. Some of these services are also available for other family members if they offer to care for your child.

Temporary foster care

If you need some time to sort out accommodation, financial issues or other challenges, FACS can help you arrange voluntary temporary foster care for your child.

Temporary foster care, usually with an authorised foster family, is usually limited to several weeks to minimise the effects of separation on your relationship with your child.

While your child is in temporary foster care, you remain the guardian of your child, make decisions about your child and are encouraged to spend time with your child.

Long-term foster care (out-of-home care)

If your child is in long-term foster care, you will lose legal guardianship and/or custody of your child, and cannot make certain decisions about their care. You will, however, still be your child’s legal parent and your child's birth certificate will not change.

If you are considering long-term foster care for your child, remember that children become emotionally attached to their foster family and a court may decide it is in their best interests to remain in care until they are 18 years old or adopted by their foster parents. There can be no guarantee the Court will decide to return the child to your care when you are ready. See your rights as birth parents for more information.

Residential care

If your child has special needs and requires a high level of physical care, you may wish to consider long-term residential care.

Residential care centres are usually staffed by registered nurses. They often have a waiting list and some require private medical insurance.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)