Considering adoption for your child

man with baby  

Parents consider adoption for their children for all kinds of reasons. Often, you make this decision during a very emotional and difficult time.

The Mandatory Written Information on Adoption Information for Parents will help you make an informed decision and provides information about the:

Alternatives to adoption

If you feel you can't cope with a new baby or your child, adoption is not the only alternative. There are many other alternatives which allow you to keep your child by providing you with support and help – see alternatives to adoption.

Get advice

It's a good idea for you to get information, advice and counselling as soon as possible. An experienced and qualified adoptions worker can help support you as you consider whether adoption is right for you and your child. Contact FACS Adoption Services on 02 9716 3003 or email for support.

There may be a social worker at the hospital where you plan to have your baby or where your baby was born who can discuss adoption and other options with you. If your child has a disability, your disability worker can also assist you.

Although you can begin preparing for adoption before your child is born, nothing will be definitely arranged until after the birth. You can change your mind after your child is born.

Take some time

If your child is newborn, you can't give your consent to the adoption until at least 30 days after the birth of your baby.

During that time, you will be given the Mandatory Written Information.

You will need to speak with a Registered (Adoption) Counsellor before you can give consent to the adoption of your child. This is to make sure you are fully aware of what adoption means for you and your child before you give consent.

If you're considering adoption because your baby has been born with a disability, you will need time to think about your options before deciding whether or not you can manage your child's special care needs. The time required to complete the pre-adoption counselling and Registered Counselling stage may mean that you may not give your consent for two to three months after the child's birth.

If you're under 18 or an Aboriginal  or Torres Strait Islander  parent, we can provide more advice. Talk to your worker about this or contact Adoption and Permanent Care Services on 02 9716 3003 or email

Older children

Each year a number of parents ask for their older baby or child to be adopted. Children moving into adoption at an older age need careful preparation and specialist workers are available to assist you.

Illegal adoptions

It is illegal to arrange private placements for your baby. All adoption placements must be arranged by an approved adoption agency or by FACS and agreed to by the Supreme Court.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)