Leaving home?

girl looking out of the window

There are many reasons why you might be thinking of leaving home before you turn 18, but it’s a big move that needs to be thought through.

If you want to leave home because you think you are in immediate danger of being harmed or assaulted, call the Police on 000.

If you are thinking of leaving because of conflict with your parents or family members, there is a lot of support available to help you resolve those problems. See problems at home for details.

If ongoing violence or abuse seems to be forcing you to leave home, this needs more serious help.

For advice on how to deal with domestic violence, call the DV Line on 1800 656 463. Find out more about domestic violence.

For advice on dealing with abuse, either of yourself or another family member, see our section on what to do if you or someone you know is being abused, or call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111, or for sexual abuse, call the Rape Crisis Centre/Sexual Assault Hotline on 02 9819 6565 or for country callers, 1800 424 017.

If you are leaving home because of family conflict or abuse then there are refuges and supported accommodation services that may be available to you.

If you are over 18 and have a stable income you can probably either move into share accommodation with friends or look to renting your own place.

If you are under 18 you may find that it is difficult to rent a house or sign a lease because of your age. You can check with a local community legal centre or a tenants' rights organisation (such as NSW Tenants website ) about your rights in regard to this. See legal help for more information.

Often leaving home is easiest if your family assist and support you in making the move. If your immediate family will not support you, you may have friends or relatives who will.

Back to top

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)