support for your family

Brighter Futures early intervention program

We all want our children to have the best possible start in life. Brighter Futures supports families with children aged 0-8 years who are dealing with specific difficulties including:

• domestic violence
  • parental drug and alcohol misuse
  • parental mental health problems
  • lack of extended family or social support
  • parents with learning difficulties or intellectual disability
  • child behaviour management problems
  • lack of parenting skills or adequate supervision of children

Brighter Futures can stop problems from getting worse and can help parents give their children a good start in life.

referral of families to Brighter Futures

Families can be referred to the Brighter Futures program

• as a result of a report made to the Child Protection Helpline
  • as a community referral through a non-government organisation involved in the Brighter Futures program (see the list of agencies)
  • through Aboriginal maternal health services.

After joining the program parents are able to talk with an early intervention worker about what is working well for their family and what is not.

Here are some examples of how the Brighter Futures program has helped some parents:

“I’m a single mum with three kids under eight.  I don’t have any family living close by and I was worried because I wasn’t coping and was taking a lot out on my kids.  I now have a home visitor each week and just having a friendly ear has made a big difference to my life.  My kids are a lot happier and I’ve got someone to talk to when I’m finding things hard.”

“I always thought Sam was deliberately trying to make me angry when he threw tantrums and I was not proud of the way I treated him.  After going to the parenting programs I learnt that what he does is normal.  They taught me ways to cope and deal with Sam’s behaviour better rather than getting angry and taking it out on him.”

top_orange.gif

related links:

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)