Adoption is the legal process which permanently transfers all the legal rights and responsibilities of being a parent from the child's birth parents to the adoptive parents.
Community Services provides a range of adoption services.
Adoption and Permanent Care Services provides adoption services for
- birth parents who are considering adoption for their child
- people wanting to adopt a child from NSW or overseas.
information about past adoptions
The Adoption Information Unit offers a range of services about past adoptions for people affected by adoption:
- birth parents
- adoptive parents
- other people who have a family connection to an adoption and wish to make inquiries.
out-of-home care adoption
Family and Community Services can assist foster carers and birth parents interested in the out-of-home care adoption program.
Carers can find out more about out-of-home care adoption. Information is available about assistance to carers who adopt and participation in preparation for OOHC adoption seminars. Information on reviewable decisions following an application to adopt is available in the factsheet.
Information on out-of-home care adoption is available for parents, guardians and children and young people. Where the child has lived with their carers for less than two years, see general information for parents.
Information about adoption plans is available in registration of adoption plans factsheet.
- current adoption news
- adoption statistics
- NSW Government apology for forced adoption practices
- Mandatory Written Information on adoption for parents of a child in OOHC
- Mandatory Written Information on adoption for guardians of a child in OOHC
- Mandatory Written Information on adoption for children and young people in OOHC
- Mandatory Written Information on adoption of a child in OOHC (general consent)
- Additional Information on adoption for parents of an Aboriginal child in OOHC
- Additional Information on adoption for parents of a Torres Strait Islander child in OOHC
- Registration of adoption plans factsheet