caseworker careers at Community Services

what type of work will I be doing?

Caseworkers make up two thirds of the Community Services workforce and are frontline staff who work to keep children safe. They help families find solutions to problems whether they be social, psychological or emotional.

A caseworker’s job involves:

  • gathering information: you will obtain and review information, and follow up reports made to Child Protection Helpline about children and young people at risk of harm
  • interviewing people: you will talk to children, parents, carers and other people to work out what issues may be going on with the child, young person and their family
  • completing assessments: you will work with families to assess risk factors and strengths of the child’s situation. Assessments are used to work out what further action may be needed
  • working with families: you will create case plans that involve actions for positive changes for the child and their family so that the family remains together or is reunited in the shortest possible time
  • working with the community: you will help build relationships with agencies who work with Community Services to support and strengthen families

what areas can I work in?

Caseworkers have opportunities to move into a number of different areas, including:

  • child protection: assessing reports and providing assistance to families to reduce harm for the child or young person and, if necessary, take Children's Court action
  • street teams: reducing crime, risk taking and anti-social behaviour by children and young people in areas such as Redfern, Cabramatta and Kings Cross
  • Joint Investigation Response Teams (JIRT): professionals from Community Services and NSW Police undertake joint investigation of child protection matters, where serious physical or sexual assault of children is involved
  • multicultural caseworker: providing enhanced services to children from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) families and communities
  • out-of-home care: supporting children and carers whern children are unable to live safely with their birth parents
  • early intervention: assessing strengths and needs of families and assisting them access a range of appropriate services
  • Child Protection Helpline: taking initial reports from people with concerns about the safety and wellbeing of a child or young person, and assessing what further actions may be taken
  • Aboriginal caseworker: consulting and advising on Aboriginal children who are at risk and the placement of Aboriginal children and young people who are in out-of-home care.

what sort of skills and experience do I need?

You should have skills in:

  • analysing and solving problems
  • planning and organising
  • building relationships
  • working with children and young adults

Work experience could include:

  • student placement /practicum experience in a community services /child and family work environment
  • volunteer experience in a relevant field
  • paid work experience in a relevant occupation such as working with young people or working with families

what qualifications do I need?

Caseworkers require a degree in social work, social science, welfare or a related discipline.

While the majority of our new caseworkers are recent university graduates, the nature of the work means that maturity and life experience (combined with a relevant degree) are also highly valued.

Degree qualifications for Aboriginal caseworkers are preferred but not essential.

See more on qualifications

what are the employment conditions?

Employment as a caseworker offers a variety of career prospects, training opportunities and excellent conditions including:

  • base salary range $59,705 - $82,491
  • employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading
  • four weeks annual leave
  • fifteen days paid sick leave per year
  • flexible working hours - 140 hours per month, which is an average of seven hours per day

will I get on the job training?

Entry level training is provided to all caseworkers at the beginning of their employment. Satisfactory completion of the Community Services Caseworker Development program is compulsory for all new recruits.

how do I apply?

All of our current vacancies are advertised on

People from culturally and linguistically diverse and Aboriginal backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)