Right to information (formerly FOI)

young girl at a computer

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) is designed to promote a fair, transparent and open government for the people of New South Wales. 

The FACS Right to Information Policy sets out how FACS complies with its obligations, and how a member of the public may exercise the right of access to information held by the Government under the GIPA Act.

How can I get access to information held by Community Services?

You can search for policy documents through our publication guide, disclosure log and register of government contracts.

If you were in out-of-home care or were a ward of the state, you can request access to records about your time in care. You do not have to apply under the GIPA Act.

See more about care leavers.

If you want to access information about an adoption, you will need to apply to the Adoption Information Unit. Find out more about a past adoption.

Care leavers or former wards

If you were formerly in out-of-home care or a ward of the state you have the right to access records about your time in care.

Files may be viewed at a Community Services Centre under the supervision of a Community Services officer.

This is a free service and the office will provide support and explain the information on the file.

As a care leaver, you can obtain a copy of documents relating to you, as well as original personal documents such as birth certificates, baptismal certificates, school and medical records and correspondence addressed to you.

If you are a care leaver who now lives interstate, you will need to lodge a written request to the Records Access Branch. This information will be provided to you free of charge.

Also see are you a former ward?

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)