Legal careers

legal officer

What does Community Services Legal Services do?

Legal Services provides advice, undertakes legislative review and has the carriage of litigation on behalf of the Minister for Community Services and Community Services Chief Executive.

The work of the Community Services Legal Services Branch is conducted through specialist function teams including:

  • care litigation: in the Children’s and District Courts across NSW
  • care legal support: providing advice on the investigation and assessment of care and protection matters and checking of court documents
  • general litigation: claims that have been made against the State for which Community Services has responsibility, including claims for damages, reviews by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal, etc
  • general child law: advice on all aspects of child law, as well as having carriage of court work in the Supreme and Family Courts, eg seeking prerogative orders and adoptions
  • international kidnapping: acts for the State Central Authority in relation to international kidnapping actions under the Hague Convention. Carriage of matters is handled in the Family Court.

Where will I be working?

Depending on the team you are part of, you could be working at the Head Office in Ashfield or in a number of locations across the state. Your role will determine the allocation of time spent between your office and the Courts.

What qualifications do I need?

You will need to be admitted or immediately eligible for admission as a legal practitioner in NSW and to the High Court of Australia.

Depending on the role, you may be required to have experience in litigation and a thorough knowledge of the legislation administered by Community Services. Excellent communication and research skills are also required.

What are the employment conditions?

Employment with Community Services offers a variety of career prospects, training opportunities and excellent conditions.

Will I get on the job training?

Community Services Legal Officers undertake formal and on-the-job training. You will be encouraged to attend various courses, conferences and seminars, which will contribute to your MCLE requirements.

Community Services provides study assistance in the form of financial and study leave and you are encouraged to seek approval to undertake further training that will enhance your knowledge, skills and career.

How do I apply for a position in Community Services?

Back to top  

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (24 hours/7 days)